ADS

Beef and Garlic Scape Stir-fry

Beef and Garlic Scape Stir-fry


I was lucky and last weekend they still had garlic scapes at the farmers market and I could not pass up on picking up another bunch of them. When I was searching for recipes for garlic scapes earlier I came across several statements claiming that garlic scapes could be used as is, just like they were asparagus. After enjoying the garlic scapes using them chopped up like regular garlic and in a pesto I was ready to try them whole. Of the recipe ideas that I could find using them whole the ones that sounded most interesting were those that used them in stir-frys. I decided to go with a beef and garlic scape stir-fry and I started with the beef and asparagus stir-fry recipe that I had made a while ago. I left the chopped up garlic cloves in even though I was using the garlic scapes for even more garlicky goodness. I wanted there to be something more than just the beef and garlic scapes and I thought that some sliced water chestnuts would be nice. The last change that I made was in adding a bit of oyster sauce to change the flavour profile up a bit.

Despite the fact that the list of ingredients and instructions are a little long this stir fry was pretty easy to make. One tip that I can suggest for cutting your beef thinly is to put it in the freezer for 30 minutes before slicing it. I like to choose a nice and tender cut of beef for dishes like this as it is only briefly stir-fried and it will not get and more tender when cooked. Another tip for stir-frys is to prepare all of the ingredients before your start cooking as stir-frys cook fast. The beef and garlic scape stir-fry turned out really well. With both the garlic and the garlic scapes the stir-fry was nice and garlicky and good. The garlic scapes themselves mellowed out nicely when cooked so they had a nice mild garlic flavour. I really enjoyed using the garlic scapes whole in this stir-fry, and in fact I have enjoyed the garlic scapes every way that I have used them so far. I still have a few garlic scapes and I will definitely be looking for more at the farmers market this weekend.

Beef and Garlic Scape Stir-fry

(makes 4 servings)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
1 pound beef (thinly sliced)
1 teaspoon garlic (grated)
1 teaspoon ginger (grated)
1 teaspoon Shao Xing Chinese cooking wine (or cooking sherry)
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon of the cornstarch
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 tablespoon garlic (grated)
1 tablespoon ginger (grated)
1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
6 garlic scapes (cut into 1 1/2 inch slices)
1 can water chestnuts (drained and sliced)
1/2 cup beef stock
1 teaspoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 green onions (sliced)

Directions:
1. Marinate the beef in the garlic, ginger, Shao Xing, light soy sauce, cornstarch and sesame oil for 20 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a pan.
3. Add the beef and stir-fry until cooked, about 2-3 minutes and set aside.
4. Heat the oil in the same pan.
5. Add the garlic, ginger and red chili pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
6. Add the garlic scapes and water chestnuts and stir-fry for 1 minute.
7. Mix the beef stock, light soy sauce, oyster sauce and cornstarch in a bowl.
8. Add the liquid mixture to the pan, bring to a boil and simmer until it thickens.
9. Add the beef and the sesame oil and remove from heat.
10. Serve over steamed rice and garnish with the green onions.

Similar Recipes:
Asparagus and Cashew Chicken Stir-fry
Asparagus and Shiitake Mushroom Beef Stir-fry
Steak and Peppers in Black Bean Sauce
Mongolian Beef

No comments:

Post a Comment