ADS

Pumpkin and Feta Fritters

Pumpkin and Feta Fritters


During the summer while I was enjoying some tasty zucchini (or summer squash) and feta fritters I wondered if a winter squash version would work. I had previously done a savoury pumpkin pie that I really enjoyed but it used pumpkin puree. If I used pumpkin puree in the fritters I would need to add a lot of flour allow them to hold their proper fritter form. I like my fritters main ingredient to be the vegetable that they are made from rather than flour so I put the idea on the back burner for a while... Recently inspiration struck! Why not use grated pumpkin rather than pumpkin puree? Would the grated pumpkin cook with just a few minutes of frying? I just had to try it! I took the zucchini and feta fritters recipe and I simple replaced the grated zucchini with grated pumpkin. The pumpkin fritters turned out beautifully! Even with just a few minutes of cooking the pumpkin did get a chance to cook all the way through and it was nice and tender and good. Pumpkins are generally a little on the sweet side and that sweetness worked rather well with the salty feta and fresh dill. I used grated kabocha pumpkin but any type of winter squash such as butternut squash would also work well. Since I had some fresh dill for the fritters anyways I whipped up a fresh batch of tzatziki to go with them.

Pumpkin and Feta Fritters

(makes 2 servings)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
2 cups pumpkin/squash (grated)
1/4 cup fresh herbs (such as parsley, dill, mint; chopped)
1 green onion (sliced)
1/4 cup feta (crumbled)
1/2 cup flour (I used whole wheat flour)
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons oil

Directions:
1. Mix the pumpkin, herbs, green onion, feta, flour, egg, salt and pepper in a bowl.
2. Heat the oil in a pan.
3. Spoon the pumpkin mixture into the pan and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side.

Similar Recipes:
Kolokithopita (Pumpkin and Feta Pie)
Zucchini and Feta Fritters
Sweet Pumpkin Fritters
Ntomatokeftedes (Tomato and Feta Fritters)
Spanakopita (Spinach and Feta Pie)
Spinach and Feta Fritters
Apple, Cheddar and Bacon Fritters in Caramel Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment