ADS

Apple Rhubarb Crisp

Apple Rhubarb Crisp with Vanilla Ice Cream


It seems that I have not been doing too many desserts recently and I had been craving something sweet. I always enjoy using fruit in desserts and one of the quickest, easiest and most rewarding ways of using fruits in a dessert has to be in the form of a crisp or a crumble. They are pretty much as easy as; prep the fruit, mix the crumb topping, pour them into a baking dish and bake. Though I tend to use use fruits that are in season, sometimes I cheat and freeze some fruit for later. Apples are great for crisps and normally I would pair them with cranberries for a tart counter balance to their sweetness but when rhubarb was in season during the summer I thought that rhubarb would also work well with apples so I froze some for later. The other day while I was rooting around in my freezer I came across that rhubarb and it was finally time to try the combo out. The rhubarb ended up surviving the freezer in pretty good condition and went on to make a really nice apple rhubarb crisp! The tart rhubarb worked just as well with the sweet apples as I had been hoping for. I of course served the crisp with some melting vanilla ice cream.

Tip: I like to split the leftovers into individual sized servings and freeze them in plastic containers. If I want a sweet dessert I simply pull one directly from the freezer to the microwave and give it two minutes on speed defrost followed by two minutes on high. With that and a scoop of vanilla ice cream I have an amazing treat whenever I want in under 5 minutes.

Apple Rhubarb Crisp

(makes 4-6 servings)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
3 cups apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
2 cups rhubarb (sliced)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 orange (juice and zest)
2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup butter (melted)

Directions:
1. Toss the apples and rhubarb with the sugar, flour, cinnamon, orange juice and zest.
2. Mix the flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter in a large bowl.
3. Place the apple mixture into an 8x8 inch baking dish and pour the topping on.
4. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until it is bubbling and the top is golden brown, about 35-45 minutes.

Similar Recipes:
Strawberry and Rhubarb Crumble
Rhubarb Crisp
Vanilla Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce
Apple Amaretto Crisp

No comments:

Post a Comment