ADS

Chili Verde

Chili Verde

Not too long ago I found some fresh tomatillos which I had never seen before. I used them to make Salsa Verde or green salsa. Kalyn's comments tipped me off to Chili Verde which also sounded really good. I searched for a recipe for chili verde but I only found a few and many of them called for peppers that I have never seen before like poblano peppers and anaheim peppers. I was able to find green chilies and jalapeno peppers so those were what I used. I started out using only six jalapeno peppers but it was a little mild so I tossed two more in. It is probably a good idea to add the peppers a little at a time so that you can bring it up the heat level that you desire. Of course cilantro played an important role in the dish as well.

I really liked the Chili Verde and I made a lot of it so I had left overs for a few meals. The pork was tender and juicy and the green sauce was tasty and had just the right amount of heat. I topped it with some sour cream or some Monterey Jack cheese. I ate it as a stew, on/in tortillas, on rice, etc.

Ingredients:
2 green chilies (sliced in half and seeded)
8 jalapeno peppers (sliced in half and seeded)
1 green bell pepper (sliced in half and seeded)
8 tomatillos (husked and washed)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound pork (loin, cubed)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion (chopped)
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 teaspoon cumin
2 cup chicken stock
1 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup cilantro (chopped)

Directions:
1. Broil the peppers and tomatillos until the peppers are blackened, about 10 minutes and remove the skins from the peppers.
2. Puree the peppers and tomatillos in a food processor.
3. Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the pork, brown on all sides and set the pork aside.
4. Heat the oil in the same pan add the onion and saute until translucent.
5. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
6. Add the pork, chicken stock, the pureed peppers and tomatillos, oregano, salt and pepper, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the pork is nice and tender, about 2-3 hours.
7. Mix in the cilantro and remove from heat.

Slow Cooker: Optionally implement steps 1-5, place everything except the cilantro in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or high for 2-4 hours before adding the cilantro.

Similar Recipes:
Turkey and Zucchini Green Chili
7 Chili Chili
Black Bean and Quinoa Chili
Turkey White Chili
Tacos al Pastor
Carnitas
Slow Braised Chili Con Carne
White Chicken Chili
Salsa Verde Lasagna
Quinoa White Chicken Chili
Tortellini Chili

No comments:

Post a Comment