ADS

Sweet Potato Soup

Sweet Potato Soup

Sweet potatoes had been on my mind and I had wanted to work them into my holiday dinner. I thought that a sweet potato soup to start the dinner off would be a good idea. I quickly came across this recipe for a creamy sweet potato soup on Simply Recipes that caught my attention. I liked that the recipe had some spices that might be found in a sweet potato dessert and the maple syrup which might be found in mashed sweet potatoes. In the end I decided that I already had too much planned to have the soup with dinner so I just had it for the lunch before instead. I kept pretty much to the recipe though I wanted my soup to be thicker so instead of using the four cups of stock I used just enough to cover all of the potatoes. The soup turned out wonderful and before I realized it I had already finished off two bowls. It was nice and creamy and there was a nice blend of slightly sweet along with the savoury. The cinnamon and nutmeg gave it that aroma of apple, pumpkin or sweet potato pie.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup onion (chopped)
2 stalks celery (chopped)
1 leek (chopped, white and pale green parts only)
1 clove garlic (chopped)
3 sweet potatoes (peeled and cut unto 1 inch cubes)
4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth or chicken stock
1 stick cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons maple syrup
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Melt the butter in a large sauce pan.
2. Add the onions and saute for 5 minutes.
3. Add the celery and leek and saute for 5 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
5. Add the sweet potatoes, chicken stock, cinnamon and nutmeg and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce the head and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
7. Remove the cinnamon stick.
8. Puree the soup with a hand blender or in a blender or food processor in batches.
9. Add the milk and maple syrup and heat.
10. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Similar Recipes:
Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
Butternut Squash Soup
Thai Pumpkin Soup
Roasted Tomato Soup

Looking for more soup recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment