ADS

Roasted Butternut Squash Farro Salad

Roasted Butternut Squash Farro Salad

I still had some leftover butternut squash and I was thinking about doing a whole grain salad with it. Over the last while I have been enjoying exploring whole grains and one of my favorite ways to use them is in simple salads. One of my favorite whole grains is farro as it is has a really nice chewy texture like pasta cooked al dente that I really like. I was thinking of a simple squash squash farro salad. Since sage goes really well with squash and since I had some in my fridge it was a no brainier to add it. I like the way that balsamic vinegar adds a touch of sweet along with the tart and I thought that it would work well with the roasted butternut squash. Walnuts are one of my favorites and I wanted to add them to the salad and I thought that it would be the perfect opportunity to try out the walnut oil that I had recently picked up. The walnuts were toasted to give them that perfect texture and to bring out their full flavour. Of course I could not pass up on the chance to add something green and I used it to enjoy some swiss chard. The roasted butternut squash farro salad turned out pretty good. I really liked the way the roasted butternut squash worked with the chewy farro and the salad had a really nice flavour. I enjoyed the salad warm the first night and I enjoyed it cool the next morning as a quick breakfast before running out the door.

I hope that everyone celebrating Thanksgiving today has a great one!

Ingredients:
2 cups butternut squash (peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon sage (chopped)
2 cups cooked farro (cooked as directed on package)
1/2 bunch swiss chard (cut into bite sized pieces and wilted)
1 handful red onion (chopped)
1/4 cup feta (crumbled)
1/4 cup walnuts (toasted)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon walnut oil (or olive oil)
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon sage (chopped)

Directions:
1. Toss the squash in the oil and vinegar along with the sage.
2. Roast in a preheated 400F oven tossing after 15 minutes until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes.
3. Mix everything.

Similar Recipes:
Roasted Cauliflower and Red Pepper Farro Salad
Mushroom and Thyme Farro Salad
Roasted Butternut Squash Lasagna
Butternut Squash, Italian Sausage and Sage Pasta
Turkey and Squash "Thanksgiving" Risotto
Roasted Butternut Squash and Chickpea Wheatberry Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment