ADS

Panang Curry Paste

Panang Curry Paste


I recently tried and really enjoyed Thai style curry. I used a store bought jar of Thai curry paste which was pretty good but I wanted to try to make my own. I picked up a copy of "The Big Book of Thai Curries" which has a lot of great looking curries in it. I decided that I would start with the panang curry paste because it had peanuts and sounded interesting. I was lacking many of the ingredients required for the curry paste and went I went off in search of them. In the end I was unable to find the galangal which I replaced with ginger or the kaffir lime which I replaced with a regular. I was able to find the shrimp paste which is included in all of the curries in the book. The panang curry paste looked pretty good but the shrimp paste made it smell. With the curry paste made the next step is to use it to make a curry.

12/14/2007 - Update - I froze some of the curry paste in individual serving sizes and they came out of the freezer in good condition.

Ingredients:
5 dried red chilies (toasted)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large shallot
4 large cloves garlic
1 tablespoon galangal (or ginger)
2 stalks lemongrass (peeled, lower 2 inches)
1 tablespoon kaffir lime zest (or lime)
1 tablespoon cilantro root
1 teaspoon white peppercorns (toasted and ground)
2 teaspoons coriander seeds (toasted and ground)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (toasted and ground)
2 tablespoons roasted peanuts (toasted and ground)
1 tablespoon shrimp paste

Directions:
1. Mash everything with a mortar and pestle or puree everything in a food processor.

Similar Recipes:
Red Curry Paste
Thai Green Curry Paste

Use in:
Thai Spicy Peanut Sauce
Panang Kung (Prawn Panang Curry)
Panang Curried Pumpkin and Prawn Soup
Moo Satay (Pork Satay) with Curried Peanut Sauce
Panang Moo Yang (Curried Pork Chops)

No comments:

Post a Comment