ADS

Penang Gai (Chicken Penang Curry)

Penang Gai (Chicken Penang Curry)


With my freshly made Penang curry paste I decided to make a simple chicken curry, Penang Gai from "The Big Book of Thai Curries". The chicken curry looked really tasty and sounded pretty simple to make. Once again I found that I was missing a lot of the ingredients and I had to go in search of them. I was really pleased to find some Thai basil. I tried a leaf by itself and it was pretty good, having a distinct licorice flavour to it. I was not able to find the kaffir lime leaves and so I just used some of the Thai basil instead. I was able to find the palm sugar which came in solid discs of sugar which needed to be finely grated. I was also able to find a source of fresh red chilies which I had been looking for for a while. The curry turned out to be really good! Making my own Thai curry paste was well worth the effort. I was introduced to many new ingredients and flavours. I am looking forward to using the panang curry paste again.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons Penang curry paste
1 pound chicken breast (cut into bite sized pieces)
1 14 ounce can coconut milk
3 tablespoons fish sauce
2 teaspoons palm sugar (grated, or white or brown sugar)
4 kaffir lime leaves (chopped)
2 red chilies (thinly sliced)
1 handful Thai basil

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the curry paste and saute for a few minutes.
3. Add the chicken and saute until cooked.
4. Add the coconut milk, fish sauce and sugar and cook for a few minutes.
5. Add the lime leaves, chilies and basil and remove from the heat.

Similar Recipes:
Prawn and Pineapple Curry
Apricot Chicken Curry
Tilapia Baked in Thai Green Curry

Take a look at Weekend Herb Blogging at What Geeks Eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment