ADS

Mushroom and Spinach Crepes with Goat Cheese and Balsamic Drizzle

Mushroom and Spinach Crepes with Goat Cheese and Balsamic Drizzle

It had been far too long since I had last had a good mushroom dish and I had been craving them. It seemed like the perfect opportunity to combine the mushrooms that I was craving with the new whole wheat crepe recipe that I wanted to try. I kept the mushroom mixture pretty simple using some of my favorite flavours. I decided to use shiitake and cremini mushrooms to form the base of the dish and I wanted something green so I added spinach. Thyme goes really well with mushrooms and it became the primary herb of the dish. I had some goat cheese left over and I thought that would be a great addition and I decided to go with a balsamic syrup garnish to round out the flavours. The mushroom and spinach crepes were a bit of work to put together as you have to juggle cooking the mushrooms, making the crepes and reducing the balsamic vinegar at the same time. In the end they turned out well! The mushrooms were of course great and the goat cheese added a really nice creaminess and the balsamic syrup cut through it nicely. Overall I really enjoyed both the meal and the whole wheat crepes.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion (sliced)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 tablespoon butter
8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
1 tablespoon thyme (chopped)
4 ounces spinach
salt and pepper to taste
1 splash dry sherry
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
4 whole wheat crepes (or crepes)
1 handful goat cheese (grumbled)

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the onion and saute until just starting to caramelize, about 5-9 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Add the butter and let it melt.
5. Add the mushrooms and thyme and season with salt and pepper and saute until they start to caramelize.
6. Add the sherry and deglaze the pan.
7. Add the spinach and saute until it wilts.
8. Reduce the balsamic vinegar to a syrup like consistency in a small sauce pan.
9. Place some of the mushroom and spinach mixture into a crepe followed by some goat cheese and balsamic syrup drizzle and fold.

Similar Recipes:
Asparagus Crepes with Mushroom Dill Sauce
Mushroom and Goat Cheese Strudel with Balsamic Syrup
Wild Mushrooms Sauteed in Butter, Sherry and Lemon
Ham, Egg and Gruyere Crepes with Maple Syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment