ADS

Fresh Pea Salad with Bacon and Cheddar

Fresh Pea Salad

I really enjoy the fresh sweet summer peas. I like to eat them raw and I normally just throw them into salads for a bit of sweetness and there is also the fresh pea pesto that I make fairly often. During the winter I came across the idea of a pea salad, sometimes called an English pea salad, which was basically peas and other bits in a mayonnaise based dressing. I liked the sound of the sweet pea and mayo combination and despite the fact that most recipes called for frozen or even canned peas I immediatly thought of making it during the summer with fresh peas. I admit that I have been procrastinating a bit now that summer is here as shucking 3 pints of peas sounded like a lot of work but I finally got around to it and it was worth the effort. The creamy mayo went really well with the sweet peas and red onions added a bit of bite along with the heat from the cayenne. Of course you cannot go wrong with adding bacon and cheese and the fresh mint was a really nice touch. One of the keys to this salad is letting it sit in the fridge for a while to let the flavours mingle. I enjoyed the pea salad the best when it was still cool from the fridge which is really nice on warm summer days.

Fresh Pea Salad

(makes 4 side dish sized servings)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
2 cup peas
2 strips bacon (cooked and crumbled)
1/4 cup cheddar cheese (cubed)
2 tablespoons red onion (chopped)
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon sour cream
2 tablespoons mint (chopped)
1 pinch of cayenne

Directions:
1. Mix everything and chill in the fridge.

Similar Recipes:
Creamy Pea and Artichoke Pesto Pasta Salad
Avocado and Sweet Corn Salad
Waldorf Salad
Peas with Pancetta and Shallots
Fresh Pea Risotto with Spicy Grilled Shrimp
Esquites (Mexican Corn Salad)

No comments:

Post a Comment